Our activities and their impact
Oval Learning builds capacity within schools and communities to maximise positive outcomes for young people.
We help thousands of individuals and families build skills, enrich networks, gain confidence and extend horizons.
We identify gaps, build networks and support schools as community hubs.
- Facilitating enriching activities and experiences where children from different backgrounds learn and play together
- Commissioning specialist support and therapies to meet individual needs
- Organising mentoring and work experience and building social capital to help access jobs, training or independent living
- Reaching beyond organisational barriers to focus efforts, avoid duplication and achieve best impact from limited resources
- Sharing skills and ideas and building peer support networks for teachers and youth workers
This strengthens our community and improves opportunities for children.
- Young people access varied creative, sporting and outdoor experiences, broad friendships and diverse networks
- Children and families gain valuable skills, tools and resources to overcome barriers
- Young people are better prepared to make the most of their education, build healthy relationships, play a positive role in society and live their best lives.
- Local services and resources can more easily reach the people they intend to benefit
- Schools work more effectively together and with other partners to deliver excellent education and opportunities for all
The challenges in our area:
- Three quarters of pupils in our area live in poverty.
- Most don’t speak standard English as their first language.
- Many face complex health and social issues including mental and physical illness, special needs and disability, communication difficulties and crowded temporary housing.
- Cuts to public funding force a struggle for families and professionals to access resources needed to help every child reach their potential.
- This is a densely populated urban area featuring extremes of wealth and poverty, illegal levels of air pollution and fear of violent crime.
- Trusted school adults interact with children daily and play a holistic role in developing and supporting them and their families.
- Schools can influence cultural and environmental norms, provide meals and structure, broker additional support, stimulate independence and broaden horizons.
- Our vibrant, diverse and open community includes thousands of children bursting with potential as well as hundreds of skilled and dedicated professionals and energetic parents and volunteers.
- We are centrally located in a world class city with excellent services, opportunities and resources on our doorstep. We can connect these assets where they can make most difference.