We work closely with adult community education services including Morley College, LondonCLC and Lambeth Family Learning to provide free and subsidised events and courses in our schools and children’s centres. Parents and other adults can learn new skills, meet others, gain qualifications and become involved at their child’s school. Current courses include cookery skills, film-making, money advice, and training for working with children. All courses have numeracy and literacy embedded and can lead to further study.
English classes for speakers of other languages are available on Wednesday and Friday mornings at Henry Fawcett Children’s Centre, and on Monday afternoons at St Stephen’s Children’s Centre, delivered by the Baytree Centre.
Where appropriate we signpost families to other local organisations for specialist help and support. There is a wide network of advice agencies in Lambeth who provide free, independent, confidential, impartial advice in housing, debt, welfare rights, employment and consumer law. Useful local contacts include:
- Stockwell Partnership provides a range of advocacy and advice services. You can make an appointment to speak to someone in English, Polish, Portuguese, French, Italian, Spanish for advice on accessing benefits, sorting out problems, or understanding your options with housing or finance.
- Lambeth Law Centre helps local people understand their rights and enforce them, with free legal advice on housing, immigration, money advice, welfare rights, employment and discrimination.
- The Walcot Foundation offers individual grants of up to £4,000 to Lambeth residents wanting help with getting back to work.
- The Indoamerican Refugee and Migrant association offers Latin American Spanish and Portuguese families education and training, social and wellbeing activities, and support accessing other services.
- The London Mutual Credit Union can help access affordable and inclusive financial services, with savings and low cost loans.
- Black Prince Trust offers free fitness sessions during the day for adults (community gym and boxing), and afterschool and holiday sports for kids.
- Henry Fawcett Children’s centre provides a range of clubs and services for parents with pre-school children.
- St Stephen’s Children’s Centre runs a range of drop-in, advice and outreach services at their centre in Meadow Place, as well as activities at the One O’Clock Club in Vauxhall Park.